Forres Cycling Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forres Cycling Club

Welcome to the Forres Cycling Club Forum. The club was founded in 1938 and is affiliated to the Scottish Cycling Union and the North Of Scotland Cycling Association

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Youth/junior prizes?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kate
Peleton
Peleton

Youth/junior prizes? Empty
PostSubject: Youth/junior prizes?   Youth/junior prizes? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Smile
I was wondering if anyone can explain to me why there is rarely, if at all a specific prize for youth/junior riders.
As a youth it is really disappointing to never be able to gain a prize as we are usually also competing against the female senior riders, or there is no prize at all.
All my money goes on my bike and it would be great to be able to earn a bit by pedalling faster Very Happy
Just wanted to know why this is and wondered what everyone else thinks?
Kate Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura
Peleton
Peleton

PostSubject: Re: Youth/junior prizes?   Youth/junior prizes? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 2:15 pm

I agree with Kate, its really irritating espically as we can't get jobs on the weekends as we are spending them racing in the summer and training in the winter! its also annoying when you see Vet on standard going down to second or third espicallly when they are all ready earining a wage and as i said before we have no way or been able to make money to spend on are bikes! Twisted Evil Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Laura
Peleton
Peleton

PostSubject: Re: Youth/junior prizes?   Youth/junior prizes? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Totally agreed! I know how frustrated you two feel as i had to deal with the same problem as they lobbed my category into youth/junior/female on handicap on many occasions and still had enough money for a 2nd vet on standard. It isnt a very good way to encourage youth when they haven't got anything to race for

David Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Kate
Peleton
Peleton

PostSubject: Re: Youth/junior prizes?   Youth/junior prizes? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Thank you to whoever organised for there to be a youth handicap prize today at the forres 10!
Just so happened it was me who won it!
So chuffed will be putting it towards my new cycling top Very Happy
Hope the other clubs take note how encouraging it is to have a chance of winning something as a youth! Smile
Kate sunny
Back to top Go down
Mad Mo
Green Jersey
Green Jersey
Mad Mo

PostSubject: Re: Youth/junior prizes?   Youth/junior prizes? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 1:42 pm

Kate

When it came to the closing date for the Audrey Gault yesterday, I had only one entry form from a youth - my own son. How could I put a on a youth's prize when it would look like I was basically favouring a family member. As it was we eventually got 3 youths. Late entries don't usually count towards prizes but I ignored this fact and added a youth handicap prize at the last minute.

For the same reason, I didn't put a ladies prize on as there was only Christine from Shetland on the start sheet.

Out of 21 entries on time, 16 were from veterans, meriting at least 2 prizes.

Moral is: get your entries in on time and get your pals into cycling to swell the numbers!

PS Well done on your ride yesterday Kate.

Especially well done to Keith on his first 10. king
Back to top Go down
Kate
Peleton
Peleton

PostSubject: Re: Youth/junior prizes?   Youth/junior prizes? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 am

Thanks Morag.
When I posted my question it was general, not specific to any race. Also it's not a new thing as you can see from the other posts.
But once again Thanks.
Kate.
Back to top Go down
notme
Peleton
Peleton

PostSubject: Re: Youth/junior prizes?   Youth/junior prizes? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 4:22 am

Hi all.

It's a bit sad you feel you often have 'nothing to race for'.

Here are some ideas to help motivate you at those events where there is no prize in your category:

- enjoy the feeling of pushing yourself to the limit, putting your training to the test.
- aim for a personal best over the distance or, on a particular course.
- try to set a new North or Scottish record in your category.

Many clubs now offer free entry to young riders in a bid to encourage you. This was not the case in the past. When I was a schoolboy/junior in the eighties I saved my dinner money for entry fees and very often, we cycled to and from the races. Judging by the photos, you have some really nice bikes now too, so try not to feel too hard done by!

Having said all this it is nice to be able to put prize money toward a new jersey or some other item to remember your success by, however you will never be able to fund your cycling kit through prizes. A senior rider a few years back won virtually every time trial in the North one season and he was amused to find his prize money hadn't even covered the cost of his tyres.

The really nice thing about receiving a prize is not the monetary value, it's the public recognition for your effort and/or talent. Some organisers make an effort to highlight outstanding performances when reading out the times, whether or not a prize has been awarded. Winning a prize when you've done a poor ride yourself and perhaps not had much competition is not particularly rewarding though is it? Better to come away feeling you've trained hard and ridden well, prize or no prize surely?

Just enjoy the comradeship of training and the competitiveness at the racing. You are involved in a great sport the joys of which, judging by the numbers of those pesky vets making comebacks, will stay with you all your lives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Youth/junior prizes?   Youth/junior prizes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Youth/junior prizes?
Page 1 of 1